2018 Hospitalist Practice Management: How to Thrive in a Time of Intense Change
All hospitalist groups face significant change that is occurring at an ever-accelerating pace. Ongoing recruitment challenges, managing growth in patient volume and scope of services, ever-changing performance goals, demands for increased attention to throughput and transitions of care, the need to demonstrate the value of your service to other stakeholders, and preventing hospitalist burnout are just some of the issues nearly all groups face. This course will dive into these topics and others to provide you with valuable perspectives and guidance.
The course faculty represents decades of experience in clinical practice, leadership of hospital medicine groups, and consultative work with hundreds of hospital medicine programs throughout the country. Eric Howell is Professor of Medicine at Johns Hopkins University, a national leader in hospital medicine, and past-president of SHM. John Nelson, MD, has over 25 years of clinical practice as a hospitalist and is co-founder and past president of SHM. Jerome Siy, MD, is Hospital Medicine Department Chair at HealthPartners in Minneapolis and a highly regarded speaker on topics related to hospitalist engagement and burnout. These knowledgeable and entertaining speakers will explore essential topics and offer concrete, practical advice for building a healthier and more attractive hospitalist group.
The course includes significant time for interaction with the faculty and fellow attendees, and each session will conclude with participants developing a brief action plan to implement upon returning home to their practices.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants will be better able to:
- Measure and demonstrate the value your hospitalist group brings to your hospital and other stakeholders.
- Develop effective operational processes in activities such as recruiting, managing scope of practice evolution, optimizing throughput, and conducting multi-disciplinary rounds.
- Discuss how to leverage a broad array of skill sets in your group to optimize capacity, including NPs, PAs, RNs, scribes, and others.
- Utilize survey data and other available resources to understand the hospitalist landscape nationally, including emerging trends in a variety of practice management activities, and successfully apply this information to your own practice.
The Society of Hospital Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of Hospital Medicine designates this live activity Hospitalist Practice Management: How to Thrive in a Time of Intense Change for a maximum of 7.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 7.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 7.50 Non-physician