2019 Advanced Case-Based Interactive Critical Care
Experts in the field of critical care medicine will integrate evidence-based management strategies with hands-on simulation to provide a highly interactive course that includes both dynamic lectures and human simulator education to augment state-of-the art evaluation and management of critically ill patients. This innovative pre-course will offer the latest evidence based in topics such as shock and pressor management; basic and advanced mechanical ventilator strategies; approach to airway management; use of ultrasound in the critically ill patient; neurological critical care; medical toxicology. The didactic sessions will serve as a foundation of evidence that participants can then actively apply during the simulation sessions, especially in the management of difficult hemodynamic and airway cases.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants will be better able to:
- Utilize mechanical ventilator physiology to strategically manage complex critical care situations including troubleshooting ventilator problems and caring for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Integrate physiology and literature evidence in the management of common and less common forms of shock as well as the poisoned patient
- Identify and manage basic and difficult airways including difficult to oxygenate and/or ventilate patients, utilizing bag-valve-mask optimally, and efficiently securing an airway
- Assess, triage, and manage patients with neurocritical emergencies as well as critically ill patients with cardiovascular insults, and understand the utility of point of care ultrasound in the care of the critically ill patient.
Conflict Of Interest Disclosure Policy
In accordance with the ACCME Standards for Commercial Support, SHM requires that individuals in a position to control the content of an educational activity disclose all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. SHM mitigates all conflicts of interest to ensure independence, objectivity, balance, and scientific rigor in all its educational programs. All relevant financial relationships shall be disclosed to participants prior to the start of the activity.
Furthermore, SHM seeks to verify that all scientific research referred to, reported, or used in a continuing medical education (CME) activity conforms to the generally accepted standards of experimental design, data collection, and analysis. SHM is committed to providing its learners with high-quality CME activities that promote improvements in healthcare and not those of a commercial interest.
The Society of Hospital Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of Hospital Medicine designates this live activity Advanced Case-Based Interactive Critical Care for a maximum of 8.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 8.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 8.00 Non-physician