2021 What Have You Done for Me Lately? Practice Management Tools for Maximizing and Demonstrating Value
Pre-work in this course must be completed
prior to the live course on May 3, 2021.
As U.S. hospitals face increasing financial pressures and hospital medicine groups continue to expand their footprint, virtually every HMG in the country is being challenged to improve – and demonstrate – the value it is delivering to the organization(s) supporting it. In today’s stressful and rapidly changing environment as HMGs navigate COVID, social unrest, and the call to more aggressively work to address racial disparities in healthcare, many of the traditional drivers of hospital medicine value are being overtaken by new priorities. HMGs are finding they need to look both internally as well as externally for levers to enhance their value.
Join us for this all-new pre-course, led by expert faculty who will address how we define and demonstrate value and offer practical suggestions on innovative strategies HMGs can use to improve the value they deliver. The course faculty includes co-course directors John Nelson, MD, MHM and Leslie Flores, MHA, SFHM as well as Rachel Cyrus, MD, SFHM, and Clinical Practice Director, Division of Hospital Medicine at Northwestern University and Andrew White, MD, SFHM, Program Director of Hospital Medicine at the University of Washington. These knowledgeable and entertaining speakers represent decades of experience in clinical practice, the leadership of HMGs, and consultative work with hundreds of HMGs throughout the country, but also bring a fresh perspective to the topics under discussion. The agenda includes ample time for interaction with the faculty and fellow attendees, and each session will conclude with participants developing a brief action plan to implement upon returning to their practices.
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants will be better able to:
- Develop a working definition of value for your HMG and be able to convey it effectively to your stakeholders.
- Implement adjustments to HMG operations and clinical activities to improve group performance in areas your hospital cares about, such as clinical quality, cost of care, team-based care models, and patient experience.
- Modify HMG operations and clinical activities to improve group culture, reduce the risk of hospitalist burnout and turnover, and improve HMG financial performance.
- Develop an effective hospitalist performance dashboard and use it in concert with other strategies to improve how HMG value is assessed, demonstrated, and communicated throughout your organization.
The Society of Hospital Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of Hospital Medicine designates this live activity What Have You Done for Me Lately? Practice Management Tools for Maximizing and Demonstrating Value for a maximum of 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- 5.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 5.50 Non-physician