Test of Articulate
Effective communication and teamwork is essential to providing high quality care. Teamwork on general medical and pediatric units is especially challenging. This module will define fundamental principles, describe methods for assessment, and review interventions designed to improve teamwork in the hospital setting.
The Teamwork and Communication Module is an online learning module that begins with a lesson, and contains a 10 question post-test with accompanying answers, rationales, and references. When the participant selects an answer, immediate feedback (i.e., rationale) is given explaining the correct answer.
Format: Internet-based module beginning with a lesson, and followed by a post-test of 8 questions with accompanying answers, rationales, and references.
CME Credit: Three (3) AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
Passing Score: 75% (8/10) required for CME credit
Upon completion of this educational activity, participants should be able to:
- Explain how poor teamwork and communication failures contribute to adverse events
- Describe principles and behaviors consistent with effective teamwork
- Collaborate on the use and interpretation of teamwork measurement tools
- Explain the potential for errors and identify deficiencies in transitions within and between healthcare settings (handoffs, transfers, discharge)
- Describe interventions designed to reduce risk during transitions within and between healthcare settings (handoffs, transfers, discharge)
SHM complies with ACCME Standards for Commercial Support by following policies and procedures designed to identify and manage conflicts of interest in Company-supported Society CME programs at all stages in program design and implementation. All programs are developed independent of any sponsor input and do not allow the use of trade names. Furthermore, SHM instructs faculty to present a balanced view of treatment options and reviews material to make sure this is the case. SHM is transparent about all funding received.
CME Accreditation Statement
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of Blackwell Futura Media Services and the Society of Hospital Medicine. Blackwell Futura Media Services is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Blackwell Futura Media Services designates this online activity for 3 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM.
Kevin J. O'Leary MD, MS
Ali A. Mohammad MD
Mark V. Williams MD
2015 Update Editor
Andrew Dunn, MD
The authors report having no significant financial or advisory relationships with corporate organizations related to this activity.
- 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 3.00 Participation (non-CME)